Tabitha offers Nebraska’s first and only comprehensive line of Elder Care services. Through advanced in-home support, innovative living communities, exceptional rehabilitation services, experienced skilled nursing care and compassionate hospice support, Tabitha is your answer for Elder Care in southeast Nebraska.
This position is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, controlling, evaluating, and working to fulfill the goals and objectives of the Nursing Department and Tabitha, Inc. under the direction and in cooperation with the Assistant Director of Nursing. The Relief Nursing Supervisor assesses the level of work provided by the nursing staff in compliance with their job description and requirements according to Tabitha's policies and procedures. This position is responsible for ensuring that each resident receives the highest practicable care possible through the comprehensive resident assessment and competently and thoroughly addressing the physical, mental, and psychosocial needs of the resident. This position is responsible for fostering and maintaining a positive working relationship with residents and their families between nursing staff members, and between nursing staff and other Tabitha employees. Acts as a representative of the facility--being pleasant, cooperative, diplomatic, and tactful at all times. The Relief Nursing Supervisor identifies and studies nursing service problems and assists in developing solutions. This position is responsible for the Nursing Department in the absence of the Director of Nursing and has immediate responsibility for the facility in the absence of the Administrator, Director of Nursing, and Assistant Director of Nursing. This position is responsible for delivery of quality service, promoting good public relations and for upholding the mission and standards of the organization. This position is responsible for supporting Tabitha’s philosophy of L.I.V.E: Love you job, Invite optimism, Vision success, Embrace the Mission.
1. Demonstrates commitment to Tabitha’s Crew Code of conduct.
2. Ensures that optimum resident care is provided by planning, organizing, supervising, and evaluating resident care.
3. Coordinates overall continuity of resident care by assisting, directing, and monitoring nursing staff, assuring that Tabitha policies and procedures are followed and that state/federal regulations and JCAHO standards governing health care are carried out. Cooperate fully during the survey process and takes immediate, appropriate action to correct deficiencies.
4. Assists the Director of Nursing and/or Scheduling Coordinator to assign nursing staff based on the needs of the residents, the physical arrangement of the facility, and the capabilities of the staff.
5. Demonstrates a working knowledge of Tabitha's policies and procedures and how the nursing home fits into Tabitha, Inc. as a whole.
6. Resolves personnel problems within the nursing staff, evaluate job performance and working relationships and recommends disciplinary action of employees when necessary.
7. Provides directions and monitoring of medications for residents who are receiving medications by Medication Aides.
8. Provides supervision and education for clients in self administration of medications.
9. Develops and maintains positive customer service with inter-departmental personnel, as well as other departments within the facility to ensure that nursing activities can be adequately maintained to meet the needs of the residents.
10. Responds appropriately to emergencies. Implements appropriate safety and disaster measures for the protection of residents, visitors and staff.
11. Assists the nursing staff to implement appropriate infection control measures including, but not limited to, hand washing, Body Substance Isolation (BSI), disposal of infectious wastes, and the use and storage of cleaning chemicals.
12. Assists the nursing staff to implement appropriate safety measures, including, but not limited to, use of gait belts and side rails application and use of restraints, prompt reporting and repair of malfunctioning equipment.
13. Participate in various committee meetings of the facility (Performance Improvement/Quality Assurance, Safety, Patient Care Review (Medicare,) etc.,) as required.
14. Assists with in-service education and staff orientation, working to reduce and limit nursing staff turnover.
15. Ensure delivery of optimum resident care by being to work on time, as scheduled and/or providing appropriate advance notification.
16. Attends mandatory and non-mandatory in-services, training sessions, and staff meetings as required by Tabitha's policies. Maintains ongoing education to upgrade professional skills.
17. Perform other duties and special projects as assigned by the supervisor.
18. Fosters an environment of staff satisfaction through effective and consistent leadership.
19. Demonstrates the ability to listen to staff concerns and take appropriate action.
20. Communicates expectations in a clear and positive manner.
21. Focuses on correction rather than punishment when addressing performance issues.
22. Builds mutual trust of staff through respect and integrity.
23. Demonstrates consistency in the treatment of staff.
24. Nurtures and supports new staff in a manner that ensures a successful introductory period.
25. Identifies on-going training needs and ensures adequate training of staff.
26. Investigates concerns thoroughly before taking action.
27. Controls preventable staff turnover related to supervisory responsibilities.
· Performs computer back-up functions for medical records including making sure all terminals are turned off prior to the procedure.
· Completes an accurate 24-hour census report on residents and sends to appropriate departments.
Must possess a current, unencumbered, active license to practice as an RN in the State of Nebraska.
Current Healthcare Provider or BLS CPR/AED certification required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Must possess a genuine interest in geriatric nursing and compassion for the aging, terminally ill, and persons with behavioral problems.
· Knowledge of current nursing theory, practice and application for better understanding of resident care problems is required.
· Knowledge of supervisory and management techniques is essential.
· Exemplifies good characteristics of leadership.
· Must be able to set realistic and adequate routine to accomplish to required work.
· Knowledge of state/federal regulations and JCAHO standards that affect the nursing department, subacute, dementia, and hospice programs is important.
· Must possess the ability to evaluate in an objective, consistent, and fair manner.
· Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
· Be able to communicate effectively when interacting with residents, family members, physicians, and other staff, allowing for two-way communication by asking questions and listening.
· Must demonstrate a positive attitude and the emotional stability to be able to cope with emergencies and the stresses related to managing and supervising others.
· Should be competent in clinical teaching related to physical and psychological assessment.
· Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
· Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
· Works indoors in well lighted and ventilated surroundings.
· Sits, stands, and walks intermittently during working hours.
· Is subject to frequent interruptions.
· May be exposed to communicable diseases.
· Possibility of sprains and strains due to moving and lifting residents.
· Subject to injury and abusive behavior from residents with diminished cognitive skills.
EDUCATION/TRAINING AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing approved by the State of Nebraska.
One year experience in supervising as an RN required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB
Physical stamina with above average physical strength required for bending, stooping, turning, lifting, walking and standing for long periods of time. Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
Computer, telephone, copy machine, electronic and regular scales, thermometers (electronic, regular, and tympanic) blood pressure apparatus, oxygen administration apparatus (tanks and concentrators), suction machine, infusion pumps (IV, Sub-Q, and tube feeding), hoyer lift, EZ pivot, whirlpool bath and chair lift, ambulation equipment (walker, cane, crutches, etc.), wheelchair, gerichair, merry walker, clinitron bed, Aqua K pad, heat lamp, humidifies, oximeter, glucometer, doppler, gait belts, bedpan, urinals, physical restraints and/or enablers, commodes, shower chairs and other equipment as deemed necessary in providing resident care.
STATEMENT OF EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
Tabitha Health Care Services is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, creed, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all employment practices and decisions including recruitment, selection, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, and the termination of employment.
Furthermore, Tabitha Health Care Services will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship, safety, and/or health risk. Please contact Tabitha Health Care Services Human Resources Department to request an accommodation.
As a government contractor, the organization has adopted written Affirmative Action Plans for women and minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. These plans will be revised on an annual basis. Tabitha Health Care Services is committed to making a good-faith effort toward achieving the objectives of the Plans. Any employee who would like to review the Plans may do so by scheduling an appointment with the Human Resources Department during normal business hours.